I feel like Chicago is toying with my emotions. The weather keeps jumping from sunny and clear to overcast and muggy. It’s a good thing baking is an indoor activity or I would probably go stir crazy. On the up side, berries are in season so the only logical thing to do is bake summery cupcakes. I know some people are a little tired of the “cupcake craze”, but I’m still smitten. Cupcakes are portable and have perfect ratio of cake and frosting. I love using fresh ingredients to add color to my frosting and blackberries provide a rich purple color that photographs beautifully. These simple white chocolate chip cupcakes get ten times better with fresh blackberry frosting. I could wax poetic about these cupcakes for hours and hours, but I’ve promised you a recipe and I won’t stall any longer.
Yields approximately 12 large cupcakes
20 minPrep Time
25 minCook Time
45 minTotal Time
- 1¾ cup Flour
- 2 tsp Baking Powder
- ? cup + 1 tbsp Whole Milk
- 1 tsp Vanilla
- 4 Egg whites, room temperature
- 6 tbsp Butter, softened
- ? cup Granulated Sugar
- 1 cup of White Chocolate Chips
- ? cup Greek Yogurt
- 1 8-oz package of Cream Cheese, room temperature
- 1 stick of butter, room temperature
- 1 tsp of vanilla extract
- 1 tsp of whole milk
- 1 1/4 cup of powdered sugar
- Preheat the oven to 325°F. Place 16 paper liners in wells of a muffin tin.
- Whisk flour and baking powder together in a small bowl.
- Combine milk and vanilla in another small bowl.
- In a medium bowl, beat egg whites on high speed of electric mixer until stiff peaks form.
- In another bowl, cream the butter on medium-high speed and then add the granulated sugar until the mixture is fluffy. Beat in greek yogurt until smooth.
- On medium speed, add flour mixture in three additions, alternating with milk mixture in two additions, mixing until smooth.
- Whisk in one-third of the egg whites to lighten the batter. Fold in remaining egg whites using a rubber spatula.
- Add in the white chocolate chips and fold in until just distributed.
- Using a large scoop, divide batter evenly among liners.
- Bake 20-25 minutes or until wooden pick inserted in centers comes out clean. Remove pan from oven to a wire rack to cool.
- Cream the cream cheese and butter in a stand mixer until smooth. Add powdered sugar 1/4 cup at a time while mixing.
- Add strained blackberries, vanilla extract, and heavy whipping cream while mixing.
- Pipe the frosting on the cupcakes.
I spent the past two weeks trying to get over a cold and part of my recovery involved re-watching Fresh Off The Boat. I was reminded of how much I love the mom, Jessica Huang, master of deadpan straight talk. Love that woman. (Images via Tumblr)
In other news, I’m loving this stop motion music video for Quack Fat by Opiuo and produced by Dropbear Digital.
But I really love process, so I like the behind-the-scenes video even more. Enjoy!