There are plenty of different ways to make cornbread, but muffins are my favorite form of cornbread—specifically these Sweet Pepper Honey Cornbread Muffins. You see, I love cornbread and when it comes to slicing a piece out of a baking dish or a skillet, I tend to be very…generous with my portions. Muffins guarantee better portion control (for the sake of my waistline) with the added bonus of being portable—just in case you’re bringing them to a potluck or BBQ.
Aside from being addicted to carbs, I also have a bit of a sweet tooth, so I opted for sweet additions to my cornbread: sweet mini peppers, honey, and sweet white corn. Don’t worry, these Sweet Pepper Honey Cornbread Muffins aren’t sweet like cupcakes. The honey simply enhances the natural sweetness of mini peppers and white corn. These muffins are also very moist because the white corn prevents the cornbread from drying out in the oven. You will have to pull the muffins from the oven halfway through baking to add the sweet pepper slices on top, but it’s totally worth the extra step. Just look at how pretty those mini pepper slices are! I mean, we eat with our eyes first, right? Right.
A few months ago, Kit Graham (The Kittchen), reached out to a group of food bloggers from the Windy City Blogger Collective to see if we would like to participate in a Virtual Dinner Party. The idea is that every month we each contribute a recipe based on a theme. We will split up appetizers, main dishes, drinks, and desserts which will result in a pretty amazing dinner party menu. I felt so lucky to be included with amazing blogs like, Everything Erica, Lakeshore Lady, Her Tasty Life, The Kittchen, Grandbaby Cakes and Honey & Birch that I immediately accepted. Flash forward to July and it’s finally time for our first Virtual Dinner Party. This month’s theme Is Summer BBQ. Fun, right? A Summer BBQ isn’t complete unless you have some cornbread, so I made these adorable Sweet Pepper Honey Cornbread Muffins to complement our delicious Virtual Dinner Party: Summer BBQ Menu. Don’t forget to check out the rest of the dishes!
Virtual Dinner Party: Summer BBQ Menu
Basil Burrata Dip with Fresh Tomatoes by Everything Erica
Herbed Corn and Avocado Salad by Lakeshore Lady
Spicy Chicken with Grilled Peaches by Her Tasty Life
BBQ Pulled Pork Sandwiches by The Kittchen
Caramel Bourbon Milkshake with Cookie Butter by Grandbaby Cakes
Plum Blueberry Ginger Granita by Honey & Birch
Yields approximately 24 muffins
20 minPrep Time
40 minCook Time
1 hrTotal Time
- 1 cup Unsalted Butter, room temperature
- 1 1/3 cup Granulated Sugar
- 4 Eggs, room temperature
- 2 cups of Buttermilk
- 1/3 cup of Honey
- 1 teaspoon Baking Soda
- 2 cups of Cornmeal
- 2 cups of Flour
- 1 teaspoon of Salt
- 2 cups of White Corn Kernels, frozen or fresh
- 2 cups Sweet Mini Peppers, cut into thin sliver rounds
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F. Grease a muffin tin or line it with cupcake liners.
- In a medium-sized bowl combine the melted butter with the sugar. Beat in the eggs until well blended. Add in the baking soda.
- Slowly pour in the buttermilk and honey while you stir. Add in the cornmeal, flour, and salt and stir until well combined.
- Fold the corn into the batter until just combined.
- Pour about a 1/4 cup of batter into a prepared muffin tin or cupcake liners
- Bake for about 10-11 minutes until the muffins are partially set. Pull out the muffins and sprinkle 4-5 slivers of sweet peppers over the tops of the muffins. Finish baking for another 10-15 minutes or until the edges are golden brown and a toothpick test comes out clean.
Side note, if you’re in need of a playlist for your Summer BBQ, can I suggest Pandora’s Hip Hop BBQ radio station? It’s sort of my go-to playlist. Enjoy!
If you’re wondering where you can get those adorable square-shaped polka dot baking cups, check out Simply Baked. You can even head over to my Strawberry Kiwi and Lime Chiffon Tartlettes post to get a special 15% off promo code for Simply Baked products!