Hollie, my favorite Windy City cat lady and genius behind Fancykins, just had a big birthday. And because I firmly believe that sprinkles make birthdays better, I baked Lemon Funfetti Birthday Cupcakes in her honor. I put a twist on Kitchen McCabe’s classic Funfetti Birthday Cake Cupcakes by adding some lemon zest and juice, and then topped the cupcakes with my go-to Cream Cheese Frosting recipe. I love making these cupcakes because they’re the perfect mix of nostalgia, color, and sugar. What more could you possibly want?
Yields approximately 16 cupcakes
20 minPrep Time
40 minCook Time
1 hrTotal Time
- 1¾ cup Flour
- 2 tsp Baking Powder
- ? cup + 1 tbsp Whole Milk
- 1 tsp Vanilla
- 4 Egg whites, room temperature
- 6 tbsp Butter, softened
- ? cup Granulated Sugar
- 2 tbsp Lemon Zest
- 2 tsp fresh Lemon Juice
- ? cup Sour Cream
- 2 tbsp Rainbow Jimmies or Sprinkles
- 1 8-oz package of Cream Cheese, room temperature
- 1 stick of butter, room temperature
- 1 tsp of vanilla extract
- 1 tsp of whole milk
- 1 1/4 cup of powdered sugar
- Sprinkles or Rainbow Jimmies for garnish
- Preheat the oven to 325°F. Place 16 paper liners in wells of a muffin tin.
- Whisk flour and baking powder together in a small bowl.
- Combine milk and vanilla in another small bowl.
- In a medium bowl, beat egg whites on high speed of electric mixer until stiff peaks form.
- In another bowl, beat the butter, granulated sugar, and lemon zest on medium-high speed until fluffy. Beat in sour cream until smooth.
- On medium speed, add flour mixture in three additions, alternating with milk mixture in two additions, mixing until smooth.
- Whisk in one-third of the egg whites to lighten the batter. Fold in remaining egg whites using a rubber spatula.
- Add in the sprinkles and fold in until just distributed. Using a large scoop, divide batter evenly among liners.
- Bake 17-20 minutes or until wooden pick inserted in centers comes out clean. Remove pan from oven to a wire rack to cool.
- Cream the cream cheese and butter in a stand mixer until smooth.
- Add powdered sugar 1/4 cup at a time while mixing. Add vanilla extract and whole milk while mixing.
- Pipe the frosting on the cupcakes. Top your cupcakes with some sprinkles and enjoy!
Adapted from Funfetti Birthday Cake Cupcakes by Kitchen McCabe