I’ve got some Easy Cherry Coconut Oatmeal Bars for you because we’re at the tail end of cherry season in Illinois! It’s the best kind of recipe: easy.
I’m a little obsessed with easy recipes right now because my schedule has been a revolving door of crazy the past couple of months. But no matter how crazy my schedule is, I refuse to stop baking—it’s my therapy. There’s something about being in the kitchen and making something delicious that I can nibble at throughout the day. You see, my therapy is a 2-step process. Step 1, bake in the kitchen. Step 2, eat the baked goods. It’s a simple, yet effective form of therapy that I highly recommend. These Cherry Coconut Oatmeal Bars are the perfect form of therapy. The Boyfriend and I have been snacking on these non-stop. There’s something about the oatmeal topping that makes these bars seem guilt-free. I’m not going to lie to you, they’re not—but they taste SO good!
I was especially excited to make these Cherry Coconut Oatmeal Bars because I wanted to use my shiny new Kitchenaid 11-cup Food Processor (a kick-ass early birthday present from the Boyfriend). I mean, just look at it!
I know, right? Okay, but you aren’t reading this post to drool over my food processor (or maybe you are). On to the recipe!
Serves approximately 16
20 minPrep Time
45 minCook Time
1 hr, 5 Total Time
- 3 cups Cherries, pitted and halved
- 1/3 cup Granulated Sugar
- 1 tablespoon Lemon Juice
- 1 teaspoon Vanilla extract
- 3 teaspoons Cornstarch
- 8 oz. Shortbread Cookie crumbs for the base (I use Lorna Doone cookies)
- 1/2 cup Shredded Coconut, split in half
- 6 tablespoons Unsalted Butter, melted
- 3/4 cup Old Fashioned Oats (not quick or instant)
- 2 tablespoons All Purpose Flour
- 2 Tablespoons Dark Brown Sugar
- Mix the cherries, sugar, lemon juice, vanilla extract, and cornstarch in a large mixing bowl until just combined and set aside.
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees F. Line a 8x8 pan with parchment paper.
- Add the shortbread cookies a.nd a 1/4 cup of shredded coconut to a food processor and process until the texture is fine and crumbled.
- Mix the crumb mixture with 4 tablespoons melted butter until fully combined. Press the shortbread cookie crumbs into the bottom of your pan until they are packed and evenly distributed.
- Combine the oats, shredded coconut, flour, brown sugar, and 2 tablespoons of melted butter in a bowl until just combined.
- Sprinkle a light layer of the oatmeal mixture over the shortbread until just covered. Spread the filling over the base layer until evenly distributed. Sprinkle the oatmeal coconut mixture over the cherry filling until completely covered.
- Bake for 40 to 45 minutes until the topping is golden brown. Keep an eye on your bars to avoid over baking them. Cool on a wire rack for 30-40 minutes before slicing and serving.
Currently on repeat: Sedona by Houndmouth. This song makes me very happy.